[jaws-uk] Re: jfw 6.00 and 7.00

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:10:03 +0200

Take this thought a step further. Why don't FS and GW Micro with
older versions of their respective products that do not support
current versions of windows either make them available as abandonware
or sell them for a nominal fee only?After all, Henter Joyce did that
with JAWS for DOS by the beginning of 1999. An old box running win 9x
can still be quite usable with something like jaws 3.7 or win eyes 4.1.

If a machine is not too old, it might be worth trying to put win 2k
on it. Win 2k is pretty much the same kernel as xp but is much less
of a resource hog and both Thunder and nvda do run on 2k. For
example, a 500 mhz machine with something like 192 megs of ram will
run 2k quite nicely. I have not tried this but would expect nvda with
its inbuilt espeak could run on this fairly smoothly.

Cheers,

Doris