[jaws-uk] Re: jaws pricing

  • From: "Amie Slavin" <amie.slavin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:14:55 +0100

Hi

No kind of expert, but am partner to a sighted software developer and
high-end writer and user of very technical audio production software.
Whenever he has to use my pc for anything, and consequently runs into JAWS,
he always ends up in a fury.  He says it would be inconceivable, considering
the adverse effect JAWS has on the soft environment it operates in, such as
slowing the pc, making the screen flicker and destabilising everything, for
any program in the mainstream to go out at anything like the extortionate
price JAWS is sold for.  I don?t think JAWS should be compared to other
access products because the access tech? market is an unprincipled rip-off
altogether, but should rather be compared with mainstream equivalents.  From
the mainstream perspective, the pricing of JAWS is a very poor joke, sad to
say.

Don?t wish to go far o-t with this, but as an additional note, I?ve just
made an ATW claim to switch from using a Braillenote Empower to an Apex.  I
did this because I was told, on the phone, by tech? advisers, that the Apex
comes with a very usable and effective sat? nav? as standard.  I hate
carrying the bulky Trekker about with me so jumped through all the hoops to
swap two gismos for one.  It was only when I went back to the supplier to
order the Apex that I was told, not only that the sat? nav? is not standard,
but also that it costs a cool £900!  £900 for a key to unlock software which
is already installed on the machine, and a little Brother sat? nav?
receiver.  Wonder, am I the only one who seriously thinks this kind of
disgraceful over-pricing should be illegal?  The government could save a
small fortune from the ATW budget if they made a law to force access tech?
suppliers to stop behaving like gangsters.