[jaws-uk] Re: jaws pricing

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:43:39 +0100

Amie, that's not entirely fair.

Theese companies do have to develop products and they have to test them.  In
order to do this people have to be paid a decent living wage.  If companies
do not get support or grants then they do have to get the money to pay their
costs from somewhere.  I actually think we need more companies to take the
Apple approach where accessibility is built into products rather than
requiring outside companies to have to make an inaccessible system work.
They should at least be forced to create an freely available way of gaining
access to the operating system, office suite or whatever.

I certainly agree in principal that it is morally wrong and deeply unfair
that as blind people we have to pay more to access things that other people
get for free.  This is not asking for something for nothing, but the
question is how to best make products accessible most effectively.  This is
a good example of where legislation is needed in my view.  The free market
means survival of the fittest.  Speech or Braille access is not widely
needed. Blind people are therefore never going to be served by a totally
free market.  For whatever reason, few companies choose to include
accessibility into their products and the question is how can we force
companies to include accessibility into what they make and I believe the
answer probably  lies in law and appropriate regulation.

Regards

Graham

probabl

Graham Page