[jaws-uk] Re: Trouble Accessing Help in 5.1

  • From: "Mullins, Chris" <Chris.Mullins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:15:25 +0100

Darren
I had a problem with Jaws help when I had to move to a new PC at work and I
still don't know how they managed to get it working.  During this time I
found the fololowing on the Freedom Scientific web site which may help you.

Cheers
Chris

Short Description:

JAWS help is not working when JAWS is run as a service under Windows 2000,
service pack 3 or 4.

Problem:

JAWS does not properly announce the HTML help pages. The tree view items are
all identified as "Topics." When you choose a topic and press F6 to view the
text for that topic, JAWS does not speak. These symptoms are limited to JAWS
4.51 and 5.0 with Windows 2000, service pack 3 or 4 when JAWS is configured
to start automatically (run as a service).

Solution:

When you need to refer to the online JAWS Help files, you have two options:

Option 1:

With JAWS running, you can perform the following:
1. Use Windows Explorer or My Computer to open your JAWS folder; either
JAWS50 or JAWS451.
2. Open the Help folder, then the ENU folder and locate the file named
JFW.chm.
3. Select the file and press ENTER. The online JAWS help will open and will
be fully accessible.

Option 2:

1. Quit JAWS, then restart using either the Run dialog or, if you have
defined one, a hot key.
When you have finished using the online help, if you prefer to set JAWS back
to run as a service, you can perform the following:
2. Exit JAWS then press WINDOWS KEY+R and type "net start jfwservice" to
restart JAWS as a service.