To: "Jaws-Uk" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:46 PM
Subject: [jaws-uk] Struggling to understand customisation in 7.0

Hello all,

I've got a specific question here, and a general comment.

My question is how do I get JAWS 7.0 to indicate capital letters by saying
"Cap", in Microsoft Word, and to do so both when I am cursoring down line by
line and across character by character? But not during Say All.

Step by step instructions would be most appreciated.

Now my general comment.  I apologise if this has been gone through before
but I've only just upgraded to 7.0 from 4.5.  I don't want to start a long
topic of moaning here, but I would appreciate people's views on what I am
feeling.

Am I alone in feeling that the array of customisations to do with how JAWS
speaks formatting, punctuation etc is unnecessarily detailed and very
confusing?  I think I should be able to work out the answer to my above
question by myself.  But I can't.

I've been using JAWS since 2001, and Windows since 1998. I consider I'm
pretty good at working things out, and, if I can't work things out without
doing so - reading help topics and following instructions. And I know
products change over time and we have to do an amount of learning. But I
think there's something wrong when an experienced user such as myself can't
get JAWS to announce capitals in the way I want it to; and can't get a
quick, understandable answer from the help topics. Does anyone else find
this?

If I am struggling, I am wondering how does a user new to JAWS manage?

To a certain extent I guess my frustration is to do with the change from
what I'm used to; and to the fact that, because I've grown used to e.g.
capitals being announced in a certain way, I want it exactly the same. But
I'm sure that's not all of it - apart from the quest to get the settings the
same, I'm just generally quite baffled by the differet places/choices one
goes to to make changes - verbosity; configuration manager; JAWS/options.
This has always been the case to a certain extent but to me it seems worse
now (unless I'm getting less patient with age). Some of it isn't logical to
me - e.g. Why is something called x manager (Speech And Sounds Manager" not
listed in "JAWS Manager" invoked by pressing ins F2? I found it in
Configuration Manager...but hey, this doesn't make for a very usable
structure to me.

I have come to the point where I'll have to put in a lot of time to learn
this product as well as I need to. I think this learning time could be
dramatically reduced if the menus/managers were organised in a more logical
way. And if they are to be like this, I'm thinking it would be good to have
a wizard to step through the process of making customisations.

Also what I find noteworthy is one of the reasons I chose JAWS in the first
place over WE was the fact that I found JAWS's interface/customisations to
be intuitive. I no longer find this to be the case. (I don't want to start
a discussion about WE v JAWS, but I'm just interested to know whether anyone
else finds/found this frustrating too).

Catherine

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq