[jaws-uk] Starting Jaws with a Braille Display problem

  • From: "Roger Fordham" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:46:33 +0100

Hi List,

Here's a brain teaser. I wish to start Jaws with a Braille display. All the
correct settings have been selected; the braille display, automatically start
Jaws 6.10 at startup, etc. However, although Jaws speech starts with no
problem, whatever I do, the braille display driver won't start the braille
display, and the only way to get it going is to unload Jaws, and then re-start
it, in which case, the braille comes up fine. And if I choose the option of
Jaws not starting automatically at startup, and then manually start Jaws, the
braille display starts just fine. I am running Xp home, Jaws 6.10, and there
shouldn't be a problem, but there is. I've done the other obvious things like
reinstall selecting the correct components, and Jaws repair; and each time, the
FIRST TIME, the braille display starts, and I think I've solved the problem.
Not a bit, because the next time I reboot, no braille. Does anyone know where
in Jaws the file can be located that contains the specific instruction to load
a braille display, so that I might edit it. And the other interesting thing is
that I have two displays, a Powerbraille 40, and a Handytech Baum Vario 80, and
both behave exactly the same, so it's not a problem with the actual braille
displays; it must be a problem from within the Jaws Startup. Of-course, it's
only a little problem, and I could start everything manually; it's just that I
shouldn't have to.

Cheers

Roger

Roger@xxxxxxxxxxx