[jaws-uk] Re: Skype.

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:36:56 +0100

Hi Sue,

I don't know of any tutorials or podcasts but there a couple of versions of
scripts for Jaws.  My favourite ones can be found at:
http://www.dlee.org/skype/
These will work with Skype 3.2 which was the latest version the last time I
checked.  If you have these scripts installed, pressing JawsKey+h will give
you some useful keystrokes to use.

There is a mailing list for blind Skype users at:
//www.freelists.org/list/skypeenglish
I am not subscribed to this list so can't tell you any more about it.

If you know the search dialogue in Skype, you can enter a phone number for
the states or Canada to find Skype users otherwise you can always enter
their name and just choose the states or Canada from the appropriate combo
box.

Setting the options which is an item in the tools menu can be a problem in
Skype 3.2 because, at least on my system, the heading for each set of
options is only spoken as "button".  However, if you can find the option for
general hot keys and ensure that the enable shortcut keys is checked then
tab to the save button and press enter.

Having done this, you should be able to answer calls with using alt+page up,
close a call with alt+page down.  I should add that this may already be set.

Closing the Skype window leaves Skype in the system tray which you can
access using JawsKey+f11.  If you want to bring up the Skype window, though,
a shortcut key exists for this purpose.  The default for this is
control+backspace.

I hope this helps,

Phil Medway

philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx