[jaws-uk] Re: Problems with newer programmes eg Win7, Office 2010, WLM etc

  • From: Tristram Llewellyn <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:13:57 +0000

Some consolation is that Window 7 is likely to be the new XP and will be
kicking around for a good while.  The Office ribbon affair is a more bitter
pill but the ribbon is not going away Microsoft and a majority of users seem to
find it works for them.  In my view there isn't a more efficient way of driving
Office programs other than the deep level keyboard shortcuts like
control+whatever control+shift+whatever etc.  Then leave the ribbon stuff for
the stuff that is not covered by those deep level shortcuts.

We are getting to the stage with Office 2003 that we had with Office 2000 some
years ago now in that it is beginning to fade into the legacy.  If you can use
it successfully with your version of JAWS or an earlier one great go ahead with
that but as time goes by this may become progressively less practical.

You can get information about keystrokes from this part of the Microsoft empire:
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/keyboard.aspx

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Technical Support