[jaws-uk] Odd speech behaviour with JFW 8.0

  • From: Clive Stevenson <mylists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:39:19 +0100

        Hi,

Since installing JFW 8.0 I have experienced a strange pattern of
behaviour in respect of its operational speaking rate.  Since I run more
than one screen-reader on the computer all are set to be manually loaded
as and when I require to use them.  The sequence of events is that:

(1) JAWS loads at the speed I am accustomed to see it do so
(2)  When loading is complete it announces its presence at its normal
speaking rate.
(3)  As soon as I press any key I lose all track of speech and it can
take a varying amount of time (sometimes as much as 90 seconds) for it
to respond with the appropriate audio feedback - this is particularly
noticeable when using the Tab key in dialogue boxes.
(4)  Minimising to the desktop and/or redrawing the screen have no
effect upon this behaviour whatsoever.
(5)  Some improvement is noticeable whilst navigating within the JAWS
window.
(6)  As soon as I select 'exit' (either whilst in the JAWS window or
accessing the JAWS icon from within the System Tray) speech returns to
its normal rate!

Its no joking matter but I can't help but grin just a little as it seems
as though JAWS is in one hell of a hurry to stop running; a trait I have
until now never observed, nor thought to observe, in all the years I
have been using it!

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on?  I have done all the
obvious things and can identify nothing in the settings that seems to
account for this behaviour.  I have even uninstalled JAWS twice and
re-installed from scratch but without any improvement in its
performance.

Hope someone can help...

Clive .S

--