[jaws-uk] Re: Finding emails

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:44:56 +0100

Angela,

Here is a bit of information on the Advanced Find feature of Outlook
2000.

The Tools menu has a powerful searching option called Advanced Search.
On some versions of Outlook it's in the Find submenu.  Its shortcut is
Control + Shift + F.  This opens a multi-page dialogue in a separate
window which, by default, will search the subject lines of messages in
the current folder and its subfolders for the text string you enter.
However, it is also possible to specify more or different criteria on
which to search.

There are lots of options which can be navigated in the usual way - I
don't intend to go through all of them, but I will touch on two that I
find most useful.

1. Focus is in an edit in which you can type one or more words on which
to search. If you don't type anything in here, the search will just list
all the messages in all the folders specified, which isn't much use!

2. Tab once to get to a combo box which is set to subject field only.
This means what you typed in will only be looked for in the subjects of
messages. DownArrow once to get to subject field and message body, and
the search will include the contents of a message.

Once you have specified the criteria you wish to use for your search,
Tab to the Find Now button and press it to start the search.  The time
taken for the search will depend on the complexity of the search and the
number of messages that have to be searched.  While the search is being
conducted, only the folder edit box and a Stop button will be available.
When the search completes, focus will settle on the Find Next button.
The results of the search will appear in a list box at the bottom of the
dialogue box, and the total number of hits will be given on the status
line (Insert + PageDown to read this information).  To move focus onto
the list of items meeting the search criteria, press F6.  The list will
have the same information line as any mail folder, but with an
additional column at the end of the message line giving the name of the
folder which contains it.

Press Enter to open the selected message. Press Escape to close the
Advanced Find dialogue.

Hope this helps you,
Steve