[jaws-uk] Browsing problems

  • From: "Barbara Wilson" <barkingbabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jaws-uk" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:04:49 +0100

Hi all

This is not strictly JAWS related, but perhaps someone has had this problem too
and can help me. Off list is fine if anyone wants to contact me.

I am on BT Broadband and have a wireless router. The router is connected to the
PC by a cable and when I turn on the laptop it tells me it is connected to my
wireless network and that the signal is excellent. However, the laptop is
taking for forever to open links and nine times out of ten I don't get anywhere
at all. It comes up with the message "Internet Explorer can not open the
webpage", And on the desktop I often get "Cannot find server". As far as the
desktop is concerned, I switch the router off and on again and it's fine in a
couple of minutes. This might happen once or more a day but some days doesn't
happen at all. However, I can't use the laptop for more than five minutes
without this happening and there is no way to get it going again.

So all seems to be connected to the wireless network, but won't open pages or
does so very slowly. Any ideas what this is? Is it IE? The phone line? It's
really beginning to frustrate me as I can't download anything to the laptop as
the connection drops during the download and just doing something simple online
takes forever!

I'd really appreciate any advice given.

Barbara