[j-say list] Re: Dragon not accepting commands

  • From: James Honomichl <jhonomichl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "j-say@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <j-say@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:29:45 +0000

Anne:

It sounds like Dragon is probably in Dictation Mode.  When in this mode, it
will only transcribe what you say, not perform any commands.

I don't know what the J-Say command is that allows you to check which Dragon
Mode you are in, but you can switch to Normal Mode by saying

"Normal Mode On"

J-Say/JAWS should echo the command switch (if you have command echo on).

Once in Normal Mode, you should be able to use the command functions.

Give that a try and see what happens.

For reference, the Dragon Recognition Modes are as follows:

Normal Mode - allows both dictation and command processing
Dictation Mode - only performs dictation
Command Mode - only processes commands, will not type anything
Numbers Mode - only wants to hear numbers, other dictation/commands will either
not be processed or will be interpreted as a number (usually with bizarre
results)
Spell Mode - only wants to hear letters, other dictation/commands gives
inaccurate results.  I've found this mode to be cumbersome, since if you pause
in spelling, it inserts a space wherever the pause is

Hope that helps.

--Jim