[iyonixlinux] Woody arm-binary backports

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonixlinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:56:50 +1200

Hi Nigel,
it is quite accepted to use Woody with backports in the i386 world, but
it appears to me any progress for the Iyonix, hinges on either the
promised 2.6 Kernel or an upgraded XFree driver and both may come for
the FX5200, fingers crossed.
I get a few windowmanager related crashes so a new video driver might be
needed anyway.
Using Konqueror is OK, I hit a site that kept bringing up windows to
download the mozilla flash, and when I gave in and tried to install it,
it hasn't got arm support anyway.
Installing and using Aptitude lets me have a bit of a play with
installing new apps, and gives descriptions while browsing them.
I installed Blackbox Windowmanager and Dillo and was blinded by the
download/rendering speed of Dillo, unfortunately it is very limited in
its capabilities.
I notice Konqueror has an option to delay image downloading, something I
miss from using RiscPC browsers.(Arcweb I think) Average Web pages have
grown in size over the years, and flicking through pages can eat up your
allocated download cap not to mention your patience. If it is possible
to achieve this, it would be an excellent feature for Netsurf.
If I can modify its actions a little, Konqueror may become useful.

Cheers -Ron
Iyonix Linux mailing list: //www.freelists.org/list/iyonixlinux