[iyonixlinux] Re: Current position of Linux

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonixlinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:35:38 GMT

In message <aed18fb350.john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          J Peachey <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

> It seems a long time since any postings appeared here.

> Was a later version of Linux released that worked on RO versions later
> 5.11?

> I wrote an article on installing Linux a few years back for Archive
> Mag, and someone has found them and is trying to do an install, but it
> keeps falling over when running dinstall at this point.

> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE Atapi devices
> Trident 4DWave/SiS 7018/ALi 5451,Tvia CyberPro 5050  PCI Audio,
> version 0.14.10h. 16:17:56 Feb 19 2004
> trident: ALi Audio Accelerator found at 10 0xef00, IRQ 33

> Can anyone give me a clue as to what the problem is? The machine is
> running RO5.11.

> thanks

> John

Hi John

Well I haven't been able to get Linux working on my Iyonix since 5.11
and the Fx5200 graphics card upgrade as well. I think that changes to
the Nvidia driver code put paid to it as far as I recall which is
shame as it was good just to drop in to Linux now and again.

Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.14, the thinking person's alternative
operating system to Microsoft Windows.