[iyonix-support] mp3 players for Iyonix

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Iyonix ML <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:24:58 +0100

There was a recent discussion on mp3 players for the Iyonix and I
thought I would share my thoughts on one I have just purchased.

I've just received my digital mp3 player from 7dayshop.com. Thanks to
Chris for telling us where to purchase it. Here's the link again as a
reminder.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_7&products_id=102074

The player is tiny and reasonably robust and has to be an absolute
bargain at 11UKP (VAT inclusive). At this price not only do you get an
mp3 player but also 1GB of general purpose flash memory. Postage is
4UKP extra. I needed some ink cartridges so brought these at the same
time.

Works fine with the Iyonix. I actually have an Aria - the mp3 player
must be inserted upside down into a front USB port to get the flash
storage section to work correctly. Wait a few seconds for the SCSI
disc icon appear - click on it and away you go. File transfer times
seem quite fast with a 17MB file taking 20 seconds to transfer. When
transfers are complete click on Dismount option (SCSI disc icon)
before disconnecting the device.

Note - battery is not required to address the flash memory - only the
player section.

I inadvertently dragged RISC OS filetype mp3s - don't do this as the
player will not recognise them. PC mp3s filetype - data (&ffd) are
recognised. The mp3 extension is important.

One problem I think I've solved is with the device intermittently
switching off. A bad connection on the battery positive spring
connection might have been the culprit. Very gently prising the spring
just pround of its plastic moulding seems to solve it.

Operation seems reasonably simple but I'm baffled by the colour
display cycling - but soooo pretty!!

Device drivers are supplied on a mini CDROM but of course Iyonix
owners won't need them. Apparently the windows format manual is
supplied on the disc but the last time I looked I could'nt get to work
- need to investigate further.

Good listening

Richard