[iyonix-support] Re: iPod

  • From: Kade Hansson <kade.hansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:38:49 +1100

Chris F wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to transfer data to an iPod from an Iyonix via USB?
How do I know if I've got USB2?
Can't speak for all models, but any iPod >2GB (i.e. any regular/mini/nano except the old smaller model) or formatted as HFS+ (Apple default) will inevitably have problems. Additionally, updating the tunes will be problematic as there is a XML control file needed to allow the tunes to be recognised. But I note you only asked if you could transfer data from the iPod... :-)

I have a utility which temporarily disables the SCSI part of the USB stack so that a large iPod can be connected for charging. I have found that larger/HFS+ iPods will freeze the Iyonix (until unplugged) unless you do this. I can't comment on the smaller models, as I said. Let me know if such a utility might be useful to you, and I will mail it.

As someone else has said, RO 5.12 => USB2. But that really only affects transfer speed: it means that 480Mb/s becomes possible. Almost all USB2 devices will run on a USB1.1 bus (albeit at possibly reduced speed): there is quite a bit of commonality in the standards. Indeed, the chips in the Iyonix are really USB2: that means they must include support for the 12 Mb/s version of USB2 which works identically to USB1.1 full speed, and this mode works on all Iyonices.

Archer

End.

---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support