[iyonix-support] Re: Voice recording

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:02:10 +0100

In article <fe9bf0f34e.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Higton
<davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4ef3d0d923riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I've been playing around with AudioIn, Christian Ludlam's Audio
> > recorder. I connected a "Dynamic mic" to the Mic socket at the
> > rear of the Aria and began recording my voice. I dragged the
> > resultant WAV file over WavEdit but no sound was output. The
> > program records/samples data correctly from the internal CDROM.
> > Could this be due to the wrong type of microphone? None of the
> > input and outputs are muted in the Sound configuration.

> The Iyonix's mic input is a bit of a misnomer.  It isn't sensitive
> enough to record directly from a microphone at proper levels.

Confirmed

> Also, there may be another problem, depending on the type of mic
> you have: some mics expect to receive power from the host to work
> an inbuilt preamplifier.  The Iyonix doesn't provide power.  Such
> microphones would therefore appear to provide no signal at all.

As you stated the gain required is quite high.

Anyone interested - perform this check:
Connect the output of an amplifier to the Iyonix/Aria "Audio-in"
socket. Switch or connect amplifier to any source (CD, radio or mic)
and set the gain so that it is audible through the internal speaker.

Warning - be careful not to set the gain too high - as this may
destroy the audio circuitry on the motherboard. I am sure that
protection is built in but hey - lets not take chances!

The application - AudioIn  can then record the source (source set to
line in) and save it as a WAV file.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards

Richard