[iyonix-support] Re: USB2 on 5.16

  • From: Martin Dixon <m.dixon4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:30:43 GMT

In message <50f004d188Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ian Hamilton <Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <119a08591002261553i7630cb9ep6d1e7d75e16a846@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Gavin Smith <gvnsth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
>> My Iyonix runs RO 5.16 and uses the latest HardDisc4 image (and clean
>> !Boot) from ROOL. When I look at !USBInfo 0.54, it shows three USB
>> hubs - the first one is USB2, the other two are USB1. However, no
>> matter what port I plug a device into, the USB2 hub never seems to get
>> used. My understanding is that USB2 support is now in ROM. Can anyone
>> shed any light on this?
>
> There are two physical hubs in the Iyonix. The USB2 hub is a virtual one.
> Any devices that are USB2 capable will show under the USB2 hub regardless
> of which physical USB port they are plugged into.
>
> If you were to plug in an external hub, as long as that is USB2 capable
> the same rules apply. If you plug a USB2 capable device into a USB1
> external hub then it will only run at USB1 speeds.
>
>> Possibly unrelated but I've noticed that for my USB keyboard and mouse
>> to both work at power-on, I have to have one on a back port and one on
>> the front. If I have both on the back, only one works - both will work
>> fine if I unplug the non-working device and plug it back in. I
>> remember reading about this years ago but wondered if someone could
>> clarify if there is a fix or just a "quirk" - it's no big deal.
>
> Try running !USBKick (see sig.) as part of your boot sequence.
>
> There are a few mice that stop working if you happen to move them while
> the device information is being read. I have a Belkin mouse that exhibits
> this problem so I stopped using it.
>
> HTH,
> Ian

What should I expect to see when I connect a digital camera to the USB
port?  When I do this, !USBInfo correctly reports the device type (I
have tried two different camera types).  However, I would have
expected to see an icon appear on the icon bar, so that I can acess it
as a disc drive.  That doesn't happen.

The same applies to my memory card reader and USB Hub, and even
devices like USB memory sticks connected to the hub.  I must be
missing something simple.

I get the appropriate beeps when i connect or disconnect any of these
devices.

Martin

--
Created on the Iyonix PC - the world's fastest RISC OS computer.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.dixon4/