[iyonix-support] Re: USB topography?

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 07:30:46 +0100
On 27 Oct 2006, John Sandford wrote:
> In message <4d55c97b4ea595877c4e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Is my USB topography correct?
>
> [snip]
>

>> Looking at the fractions displayed in the top RH corner [in USBinfo
>> display], (which are device number / physical port number) I notice
>> that only physical port numbers 1, 2 and 3 are displayed by USBinfo,
>> despite all 4 physical port numbers being occupied, and despite all
>> plugged-in devices showing up on USBinfo. It shows nothing on physical
>> port 4 (whichever that one is...)
>>
>> Of course, it might be a bug in USBinfo??
>>
>> Or is it a fault in my Iyonix?
> Roger your understanding is wrong, the usb 1,2,3 are
> not the physical ports, usb 1 has two physical ports usb, 2 has 2
> Physical ports these are usb 1.1 ports, usb 3 is the usb 2
> inplementation which can be using any of the ports on usb 1 and usb 2.
> All these can have multiple Channels.
>
> Look at the USB Status Full info window of UsbInfo to see a better
> Scematic, double click the left hand "Eggs" which are the hubs.
>
> John

I'm even more puzzled now.

If what you say is correct, then the USBinfo Help information is
in-correct.

In the USBinfo help information, it seems to quite plainly say (in the
'TOPOLOGY' section, that the numbers in brackets (m/n) in the top
right hand corner of each device depicted, is (physical port
number/parent device number).  This is what I have been looking at,
and physical port number 4 doesn't appear, yet there is something
plugged into it, and yet that something does appear in the display of
USBinfo.

The number in the top left, it says, is the 'address'. I'm not looking
at that number.

Neither am I looking at the numbers on the top line of the display,
which is what I think you think I'm looking at??

I think your interpretation of what I said is in error.

In the reply I have sent directly to John, I enclose a jpeg of the
USBinfo display from which I am reading these numbers.

[I still accept that my interpretation may still be in-correct, but
only if the help info in USBinfo is also incorrect.]

--

Cheers
Roger

Bury Walkers      http://burywalkers.members.beeb.net/
Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Bury Hut          http://buryhut.members.beeb.net/

My friends think I'm surreal, but I've never been near a sword