[iyonix-support] Re: USB mass storage drivers

  • From: george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 18:52:33 GMT

In message <d799e8e450.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> A short while ago I was looking into installing the faster USB drivers
> the Jeffrey Lee described on Icon Bar.
>
> Then came the discovery that the Iyonix was related to the Tardis and
> could travel in time and there was much broughhahha
>
> In the ensuing excitement I forgot all about the USB improvements, but
> would now like to take advantage of them.
>
> Did they come with the 5.16 ROM? or do they have to be obtained and
> installed separately?

They are separate: go to
https://www.riscosopen.org/content/downloads/other-zipfiles
and download HardDisk4 (RISC OS 5 disc image, including boot sequence
and applications. Instructions how to proceed and benchmarks are
covered in TIB's feature by Jeffrey Lee ("New Iyonix USB mass storage
drivers released" dated 1 Nov '09). The only thing I'd suggest is to
keep your 'old' SCSFS driver (renamed 'oldSCSIFS' or suchlike) in case
you hit problems and want to uninstall the new driver. With the new
drivers I'm getting read-write speeds of around 2.5MB/sec down to 64Kb
block-size with a 2GB Sandisk Extreme CompactFlash card, which is
about 5x faster than before....
George