[iyonix-support] Re: USB ext hd & Fat32FS

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:47:18 +1200

In message <dd5cf0c351.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <f8ea7ec351.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > This is still not addressing the point that a USB hard drive that
> > has no external power socket will most likely need the double
> > headed lead for the secondary power source or extra power from
> > two USB ports.
>
> Sorry, Ron, I can't let that go unchallenged.  I'm using a Seagate
> 2.5" external USB drive on the BeagleBoard.  It does not require
> an external power supply, nor does it require plugging in to two
> USB ports.  It runs perfectly happily from a single USB port that
> meets the USB specification, i.e. provides 500 mA.
>
> There is no earthly reason to start rumours of the existence of
> USB disc drives that do not meet this fundamental part of the USB
> spec.
>
> (Failing to meet the software aspects of the USB spec: now that's
> a different story.)
>
> Dave
> ---

I did say 'most likely'
There has been another poster that has used a drive powered by one
Iyonix  port also.
In my case, my friends Iomega drive spun up, but repetitively
clicked.
IMHO I dont think it is worth operating one close to the wind,
even if it appears to be OK. But then I haven't been pushed
into the situation as my drive as separate power.

I think on a modern sata type you could run a flat sata power cable
through a crack or slot in the case.

Ron M.