[iyonix-support] Re: USB ext hd & Fat32FS

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:03:25 +0100

In message <f8ea7ec351.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is still not addressing the point that a USB hard drive that
> has no external power socket will most likely need the double
> headed lead for the secondary power source or extra power from
> two USB ports.

Sorry, Ron, I can't let that go unchallenged.  I'm using a Seagate
2.5" external USB drive on the BeagleBoard.  It does not require
an external power supply, nor does it require plugging in to two
USB ports.  It runs perfectly happily from a single USB port that
meets the USB specification, i.e. provides 500 mA.

There is no earthly reason to start rumours of the existence of
USB disc drives that do not meet this fundamental part of the USB
spec.

(Failing to meet the software aspects of the USB spec: now that's
a different story.)

Dave