[iyonix-support] Re: USB - Name disc

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:55:35 +0100

In message <5245aa94d9JohnRW@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Williams <JohnRW@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <5245a96828Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Richard Torrens (lists) <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The plot thickens. I tried again. Disc appeared to rename fine. Contents
>> looked fine - but was probably cached filer info.

>> Then I dismountedit... Now the disc appears to have one file on it named
>> 4/...
>> but of course that won't open.

> I have sometimes had strange filenames writing CDs and DVDs, but rebooting
> seems to sort that out, and they then seem, and are, correct and readable.

> Never found out why, but I panic less now and just reboot.

Fair enough for a CD or DVD, but there is reason to panic when a USB
stick is involved and all the data on it is lost. I fell into the same
trap some time ago, and since then I try to remember to refrain from
renaming USB sticks under RISC OS 5.16, since that ruins them
completely. That is the most serious RISC OS bug I have seen for a
long time.

Martin