[iyonix-support] Re: USB - Name disc

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:05:30 GMT

In message <17b7f24852.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <2455925.08533-tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tennant Stuart) wrote:

>>> As Ian Hamilton wrote, on an Iyonix use Fat32Fs.
>>
>>> Try 'Fat32FS:Namedisc 0 newname' where 0 is the relevant SCSI drive.
>>
>> How do you safely rename a USB stick that wasn't formatted with Fat32FS?

Copy everything off first, so you can restore if it all goes
pear-shaped.

It frightens me to see people keeping their only copy of data on USB
flash devices. Although trashing them is rare, I've seen several that
became completely unusable, including one of mine on the rare occasion
I didn't "safely remove hardware" before unplugging.

Since the symptoms are that the device becomes a 512 BYTE device,
reformatting doesn't work.

Alan

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire