[iyonix-support] Re: Slow uploading

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 08:23:28 +0100

On 05/09/2010 16:10, John Leeming wrote:
My setup is one Iyonix running RISCOS 5.03

As mentioned the upgrade to 5.16 is completely painless, you just wont know it's there once flashed.

My normal broadband speeds are about 7M download and 500k upload. In the
past week or so I've noticed a dramatic slowdown in upload speed on all
computers, but the download remains the same. By dramatic I mean speed not
much more than zero - 10, 20 or 30K, perhaps, if I'm lucky.

However, if I shut down (but not switch off or disconnect) the Iyonix, the
upload speed on the PCs go back to normal. As soon as the Iyonix is switched
on again, the updoad speed drops dramatically. It can easily take 10 minutes
to upload a 1MB file.

The only thing I can think of is that something running on the Iyonix is continually sending data to the internet.

The file transfer speeds (via the router) from Iyonix to PCs and vice-versa
seem normal.

That would indicate it's only outbound internet traffic, and not a significant amount of traffic on the local network.

First confirm it by opening a taskwindow with Ctrl+F12 and issue this command to generate the networks statistics:-

  *inetstat -s

Wait a minute and issue another one. Compare the number of packets sent and received. I'd expect to see a lot sent. The do a:-

  *inetstat -a

This will list all the current connections, this may give some clue as to what connection and hence program is causing it. Otherwise, kill off each application in turn until the activity stops. If it's not applications, kill of modules loaded in the boot sequence which may be using the internet.

Cheers

--
David J. Ruck
email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx