[iyonix-support] Re: Resolver not working

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists iyo only <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:35:21 +0000

rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think that Resolver is not working  on my Iyonix 5.16.
>
> Web access not affected very much. Immediately after bootup NetSurf
> has to be recycled three or four times before it will go and find
> anything on the Web. This has been the case for about 2 years (I wrote
> about it on this list 13 September 2008). I can live with it.

I have a feeling that NetSurf implements its own resolver (presumably so
that the same code does DNS on all its cross-platform implementations rather
than relying on underlying OS-provided facilities).  I don't recall why I
think this though.

If I'm right the need to "recycle" (by which I read later you mean stop the
attempted page fetch and restart it) would tend to suggest that the router
is being slow getting its DNS act together.

How often do you reboot the router?

> The A9Home and my wife's RISC PC work without any trouble It is just
> the Iyo that is having a problem. All the machines are each plugged
> into the same Vigor router.

(I have an earlier Vigor router than you so I don't know if yours has the
same set of diagnostic screens etc as mine has.)

You said later that IP addresses are assigned by MAC.  You've not changed
the NIC in the Iyonix have you?  If you log in to the router does it show
the Iyo's MAC actually having an IP address assigned?

Or, you've not had some other computer have an IP address assigned by DHCP
and had the assigned address match the one you expect the Iyo to get?  If
that happened the router might not reassign the address.

If you reboot the router while the Iyo is unplugged from it, then log in to
the router from the RPC, then plug in the Iyo, do you see the router seeing
the Iyo becoming attached and having its IP address assigned?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own