[iyonix-support] Re: Please help -- formatting a new HD

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 02:10:35 +1300

In message <gemini.jd35uq02v6lgo00yg.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This would be astounding if you got to use 234Mb, however I tend to
> > believe John when he says it will not use more than 128MB.
>
> No, you can use up to 256 (true) MB drives (~238MB being true true value of
> drives marketed as 256MB), but the southbridge in the Iyonix will only use
> fast 100MHz UDMA access for the first 128MB, anything above reverts to PIO
> mode 4. The difference is UDMA will give 30MB/s to 50MB/s where as PIO is
> only 4MB/s.
>
> Unless you really need the additional disc capacity and you already have a
> full set of 4 IDE devices so you can't add another 128GB drive, you don't
> want to lose the performance by formatting above 128GB.
>
> > A tidier approach would be to have 2 partitions and then the other half
> > can be used from Linux at a later date either on the Iyonix
>
> The problenm with that is Linux would be restricted to using slow disc
> access for all of its partitions, and would crawl.
>
> But in anycase the advice for drives over 128GB, is format them as 128GB.
>
> Cheers
> ---Dave

Sorry about that, you had already just explained that first point.
Re the Iyonix Debian disc access, are you saying that the driver is not
doing UltraDMA at all in any case?
This could be one reason that anything other than the command line is a
bit slow.
There is a NetBSD for Iyonix now but I dont think there is any Xwindow
stuff done. Either could be useful for certain tasks even from the
command line, but it would be a shame if the speed was not optimised.
TIA -Ron