[iyonix-support] Re: PSU below spec?

  • From: David Mc Dowell <david.mcdowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:53:01 GMT

In message <8b9a01b74e.boase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Bernard Boase <B.Boase@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The power supply (Herolchi HEC-250LR-AT) in my Iyonix (serial
> IYO1100963) is suddenly dropping its +12V supply to between 11.53 and
> 11.63V, with the result that the hard drives stop being able to read.
>
> Sometimes it recovers, e.g.after I gave the PSU a thorough cool-off
> and dust-out, but more often than not the voltage drop now makes the
> machine unusable.
>
> Should I just replace the PSU, or might there be some other cause
> draining the +12V supply?
>
> Grateful any ideas.

I would just replace the HEC with Q-Tec from Iyonix Ltd. 58GBP inc P+P
save hassle fully guaranteed to be correct spec!

I have recently done this - my symptoms included erratic harddisc perfomance
failing to boot properly, lots of errors requiring copious use of DiscKnight-
also Error 26's, (IDE cable CRC errors) and data lost errors, (as others have
reported) these were in the  main 'spurious errors' caused by a failing
power supply.  I replaced my 120GB Maxtor fortunately not throwing it away as
it was still perfect - now kept as second backup drive. I also have spare
UDMA round IDE cables - not real Error 26's!

More usually its low 5 volt (symptom of noisy/dirty waveform due to dried out
capacitors) gives the most problems.  I had a range of things; losing
Ethernet/internet, intermittantly. was most irritating.  When after speaking
to JWB and measuring my HEC with borrowed DVM - it was just on borderline of
5.06 + - .02V at 5.04 on this three and  half year old Iyonix.

Now everything is back to totally reliable normal.

Regards, David.

--
          David Mc Dowell:   RISC OS 4 Authorised Installer
           Acorn User since discovering the 'Atom' in 1979