[iyonix-support] Iyonix problem solved.

  • From: ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 11:10:06 +0100

Good morning, everyone,

My problems with my Iyonix have been discussed on two threads, one in
Iyonix Support and the other in Archive on Line. I'll go over the
essentials as briefly as possible.

On returning from a 3 week holiday and switching the Io on, it crashed
downloading mail. It then refused to do many things and reported that
the Disc Maps were incompatible. DiscKnight reported the disc as good
and the maps OK. Verify also said the disc was good. CheckMap
professed to reinstate the maps but it lied. I suspected the known
Iyonix PSU problem and that seemed to be the conclusion of most of the
contributers to the discussion. I bought a new power supply, installed
it but the problem wasn't solved. However the power supply died after
a couple of minutes and stayed that way. Given the fact that the PSU
failed it was still likely that the old PSU was responsible.

Mevertheless, I felt that I could try out the other hypothesis (that
is: I have a genuine Map problem) and therefore reformat the disc and
transfer all the data back again. I have now done so using the old PSU
and it is successful.

I had a dreadful time working out how to use Hform, however. For
anyone interested here is the output from the successful run:

Hform V 2.54 21 21 Jan 2003

Format which drive (4 - 7)?

   IDE Drive ADFS:: identifies itself as:
   Description         : MAXOR STM3160212A
   Firmware version    : 3.AAJ
   Configuration       : 16383 cylinders, 16 heads & 63 sectors/track
   This drive supports LBA option
   Total LBA size      : 312581808 Sectors
   Suggested shape     : 84573 cylinders, 16 heads

This disc was last formatted using the non-standard disc shape
                        59500 cylinders, 16 heads & 231 sectors/track
                        Parking cylinder 84572, Initialation flag 1,
                          LBA flag 1
Do you wish to retain this shape? (Y/N)Y

A: No more changes to defect list
B: Add defect by cylinder head, byte, sector
C: Add defect by disc address
D: Remove defect
  A, B, C or D?A

   Disc will be formatted as :
     OTHER
     69500 cylinders, 16 heads and 231 sectors/trace
Format or just initialise the drive (F/I)?F
Soak test the hard disc for defects(Long/Short/None)?L
Do you want this to be a bootable disc? (Y,N)Y
Are you SURE you want to do this to disc ADFS::4 (Y,N)Y
Formatting
    69499
PRESSING THE SPACE BAR WILL CAUSE THE SOAK TEST TO END AT THE END OF
THE NEXT CYCLE.
Verifying . .
.

The wait on the line 'Verifying' was nerve-wrackingly long. There was
a cursor winking steadily after the dot on the last line and there was
also a line of text output below this when the process finished, but I
was too involved to copy it.

One interesting thing was that right through this process as far as
the start of 'Verifying' I could still see, via ShareFS, that all the
data on the Iyonix disc was still there (or appeared to be).

When I went back to the Iyonix, the desktop was there with all the
applications I had on the icon bar present and the short cuts to
various directories, but disc 4 was utterly empty. It took about 5
hours to return all the data.

Some of the runs that did not succeed got mired down because the
choice of some of the options led to new questions that I didn't know
how to answer. Another failed because I kept putting Long or Short or
None in the question about the soak test when this should have been L,
S or N.

Thank you to everyone who took an interest in my problem. I shall be
away until early next week but I couldn't wait until then to proclaim
the good news!

Best wishes,

Ralph

--