[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix network lock out

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <iyonix-support-sub@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:57:53 +0200

In article <mpro.m29kaw001qts00090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists iyo only <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Frank de Bruijn <iyonix-support-sub@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >In article <9b33e57d52.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >   Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > When the cable connection goes down your Iyonix freezes, if, and
> > > only if, it was using the connection at the time.
> >
> > Sometimes the Iyonix freezes completely, sometimes its network
> > interface becomes unusable but the machine can still be used.
> > Sometimes it behaves like the other machines.

> Does this depend on what application on the Iyonix was using the
> connection?

Not that I'm aware of. It's usually AntiSpam because that's the
application that makes the most frequent use of the network. But I've
also seen it happen when DDNSC was updating and at least once on an
incoming http connection.

> It seems peculiar that a TCP/IP connection, in the first place to a
> functioning router, would be affected by a device on the other side of
> the router.

Yup. Weird.

> (I didn't read the early part of this thread.)

> Does rebooting the router change anything?

No. I recently bought a new Netgear router to replace the aging Draytek
and that hasn't changed anything either.

> Is there any code that the Iyonix runs that uses UDP rather than
> TCP/IP - for discovery of what else is in the network, for example?

Only the default RISC OS stuff (check with inetstat -a to see what I
mean). SunFish/MoonFish appear to keep both UDP and TCP open on port
2049, but those are limited to the LAN.

Regards,
Frank