[iyonix-support] Re: Harddrive Buying Help

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:37:18 +0000 (GMT)

In article <Marcel-1.53-0130154655-b49pErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue 30 Jan, David J. Ruck wrote:
> snip
>
> > Backups to the same drive are WORTHLESS!

> True in that it is essential to have a backup on another drive.
> However I also highly recommend always having a duplicate copy of your
> $.!Boot on the the same drive.

Agreed.  All of my machines have a copy of their own !Boot in their
top-level "Backups" directory.

> This means that if you mess up your $.boot (which can stop it seeing
> your 'off main drive' backup) you have a quick way getting to a
> working machine.

I have had to do this once for that reason, and once when once when one
of its sub-directories (Choices, I think it was) became broken.  Even
with a broekn dir within it, !Boot could be renamed to, say, !BootX and
the safety copy Shift-dragged in its place.  After a re-boot, I could
then repair and delete !BootX and re-copy !Boot into Backups.

Now, although this in itself isn't an Iyonix-specific issue, because the
Iyonix has a USB keyboard and doesn't always respond to keys held down
at power-on (although there are possible ways around this for those
whose keyboard goes through a sharing switch) it is more important to
take precautions such as the above on an Iyonix than on older (e.g.
RiscPC) computers.

> I recommend having e.g.:

> $.Utilities.Copy!Boot.5.12_standard
> $.Utilities.Copy!Boot.5.12_20061028

> $.Utilities.Copy!Boot.5.12_20070130

> (the date in ISO format)

Ah!  Similar to my !Boot version archive, where each copy is still
called !Boot but stored in its own folder with an even more decriptive
name(!)

> If everyone did this it would considerable reduce our support calls
> and reduce newsgroup postings!

Well, that's good enough reason; and probably helps explain why I don't
need to make such calls -- although I am admittedly having trouble
getting something CJE supplied to work (caddies), so expect a call (or
email) from me after I have had a long enough clear period to test
thoroughly and log everything I have tried.  Then I'll make contact!

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!