[iyonix-support] Re: Flashed it now, but ...

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists iyo only <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 02:04:00 +0000

Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Suggest this is only used as a last resort if you can't get any
> further using !Reporter to find the issue and i would also make a full
> backup of !Boot just in case before using.

The reason people keep suggesting use of !Reporter is that when it is
instaleld and configured appropriately it can create a very detailed log of
what commands are being executed on a machine.  If it is turned on at the
start of boot it logs all the commands issued while booting the machine.

It's extremely unlikely that Alex (or anyone else 'untechnical') would
understand much of what such a log file shows.

But the log can be saved.  The resulting file could be emailed to anyone who
volunteers to look at it, so they could see what's really going on.  Please
though, don't post such a log to the mail-list.

[I used to save the reporter log from every boot of my machine (if I
remember correctly this was done by having *REPORTSAVE commands in the boot
sequence).  Logs do vary from one boot to another as not everything happens
in the exact same order every time.  If I had a boot problem it was
sometimes useful to compare logs from recent problematic boots with prior
good ones.]

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own