[iyonix-support] Re: First view of ROM 5.13

  • From: Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:31:59 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4ebf2cc60fp_dowson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Peter Dowson <p_dowson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4ebf02a744asg@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Burt <asg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In article <ab5ffabe4e.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I've been using !HID for over a month now and I find it doesn't affect
> > > shutdowns at all on my machine (X100, 5.12). However, seemingly it
> > > does prevent !DPingScan from interfacing with my scanner (an Epson
> > > 1660). With !HID loaded, either the machine freezes, necessitating a
> > > Ctrl-Break restart

IIRC this kind of reset is not advisable on RO5 -?  In the case of scanner
freezes, alt-break is the worst you should need to do to get it working IME.

> > > or I get a 'scanner not found' message. Running
> > > !USBKick has no effect on this behaviour. Like Gary, I find the extra
> > > functionality conferred by !HID hard to do without, so I just have to
> > > remember to quit it before using the scanner.

Since !USBKick, I've never had to go this far to get the scanner recognised
(3 Epson 2400 scanners, RO 5.11, USBHID 0.45) though the messages and freezes
are familiar enough.  Since !USBKick doesn't help you, it sounds like a
'non-standard' problem that lies a little deeper. Do follow Ian Hamilton's
suggestions in his contribution to this thread.

> > I am using same scanner & HID as George. Classic, 5.13 - same problem,
> > but no probs on shutdown.

> I was using the same scanner for two years with several rom images up to
> 5.11 also running Hid for keyboard and mouse control of my Logitech usb
> setup since purchase of the Iyonix, never had the scanner lockup except
> with one rom version early on and hardly had any shut down problems except
> the odd program crash.

Mmmmm.  TBH I don't think the shutdown issue is connected with the scanner
freezes, except in the sense that the USB system is -erm- incompletely
debugged.  !HID possibly is linked.  One could point to numerous instances of
(I think) fairly straightforward USB devices, that don't behave perfectly
when hooked up to an Iyonix. At one time we were jolly grateful to have these
devices working at all, but it would be nice to have the bugs sorted out now.

I pay tribute to Ian Hamilton's work; !USBKick is indispensible and runs on
all our machines on every boot.  I'm sure that !Scankick will help with the
scanner problems mentioned above, but I will stick with !USBKick because it
has also eliminated the problem we had with a proportion of keyboards not
working after a reboot. Bound to say though, neither of Ian's programs should
be necessary in an ideal world, -nor for that matter should !HID.

Gary

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU