[iyonix-support] Re: First go at 5.18. Not a roaring success.

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:03:58 +0100

In message <91460f8652.root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          root <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> Unfortunately I could not do a Delete power on to clear CMOS. The
> keyboard is detected early in the boot sequence (the 'keyboard not
> present message' is not displayed) but holding the delete key down at
> the start of the boot sequence does not seem to have any affect. I had
> to connect the Iyonix hard drive to a spare USB caddy and then to my BB
> and change the name of !Boot to interrupt the boot sequence before I
> could get to a working desktop. I then reflashed to 5.16 immediately.

OK , so if it now boots OK and you got to the desktop in 5.18 then it
looks like either something in the boot sequence doesn't like 5.18 or
you may have some modules disabled in 5.16.

5.18 altered the numbering of the modules so do a "unplug" check at
the command line on 5.16 and see what is unplugged, reflash and re
initialise the modules prior to a reboot.

One other suggestion is stop the autoload of any programmes at startup
via configure and also have you got !HID running as some people had
stated that causes issues on 5.18 if autoloaded unless it set to load
modules after the desktop.

Failing that a clean !Boot from the ROOL site might help as a number
of hard disc components have been updated.

> The Iyonix has three graphics cards and is running Geminus 1.34. I load
> about fifteen programs/utilities on start up. Any suggestions as to how
> I can get past this problem with 5.18?

> Pop in a new clean !Boot. Finding some way to reset the CMOS RAM? Was
> there not a command line command that does this? fx something?

Risky..

--
See and experience the future using ARM Technology - BeagleBoard -xM,
Cortex A8 and RISC OS 5.19.