[iyonix-support] Re: Fatal Flaw in ROM513?

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:53:09 GMT
On 26 Feb 2007, Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> In message <4d55c97b4e38ae19bb4e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> this suggests you may be running other software that is customised.
>>>
>>> Please return your machine as far as possible to standard.. i.e. not
>>> overloading it with 3rd party software, and confirm whether the
>>> behaviour is different.
>>
>> The total system freeze appears to happen at the moment of initiating
>> a save operation.
>
> Yes, I have seen that problem, too - many months if not years ago, so
> whatever causes this problem RISC OS 5.13 is not to blame. Every now
> and then saving an e-mail in MPro caused a total freeze. The problem
> has gone away at some stage and it was never established what caused
> it. Basically, any significant system change (e.g., installing a new
> module in your boot sequence) causes memory locations to change, so
> the effects of a bug in some piece of software could change from
> harmless to a system freeze. Obviously, installing a new version of
> the OS is a big change.

In my case, I don't think I can attribute the truncation of the
MessPro 'NewsRCfile' to that cause.

I think it got truncated by the Fatal Crash of the computer which just
happened to occur as MessPro/NetFetch/News was automatically
downloading/saving something during my attempt to save an OvPro file.

It was the saving of the OvPro file, I think, that caused the crash.
The OvPro file never got saved. The MessPro file got truncated. This
has happened twice when saving an OvPro file (though to the detriment
of a MessPro file only once).
.

--

Cheers
Roger

Bury Walkers      http://burywalkers.members.beeb.net/
Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Bury Hut          http://buryhut.members.beeb.net/
Wild Flowers      http://rdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Visit Ellesmere Port Boat Museum - Its Free!