[iyonix-support] Re: DPMS_state

  • From: John Williams <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:01:00 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4f5aff5c54tim@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Was the original post made because the OP thought there may be a problem
> with Iyonix support for DPMS or should this thread have been in
> c.s.a.hardware?

The OP looked at the configuration options on one of his RPCs and didn't
find the DPMS setting, so thought it most appropriate to pose the quesion
here, as he did find it on his Iyonix.

I now notice it is available under RISC OS 4, though, so perhaps I was a
little hasty in my choice of group, especially as it is mentioned in even
the earliest Acorn MDFs. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing!

I didn't anticipate any Iyonix problems, though I note that the extent of
working of DPMS is dependant on implementation by both the video card /and/
the monitor.

My query was relating specifically to the potential life-lengthening of
having the backlight firmly off, which Roger confirmed in his reply.

I suspect that other settings are designed to offer blanking with a quicker
recovery time, and, as you suggest, are possibly less necessary in a LCD,
but I was disturbed by the lit halo my screen still seemed to have on the
other settings.

I also suspect, as you suggest, that implementation varies from maker to
maker/model to model.

I hope my sucking-and-seeing may be of help to some other users.

John

--
||       John Williams         ||     Brittany, Northern France
         Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
 E-mail replies only accepted from RISC OS machines or RISC in subject line
Somewhere nice to stay in Brittany? http://petit.four.free.fr/visitors/locate