[iyonix-support] Re: Changing Time and Date

  • From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:18:04 GMT

In message <4f839bb607riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <279f26834f.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Peter Young
> <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 20 Mar 2008  Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > > The instructions at http://www.sparse.net/faq-iyonix.html where
> > > you add extra lines to the User obey file in Choices:Internet
> > > don't seem to work.
>
> > It works perfectly here with the lines exactly as on that page. I
> > have:
>
> > Set Inet$NTPserver  ntp1.npl.co.uk RMEnsure NetTime 0 RMLoad
> > System:Modules.Network.NetTime
>
> > added into the file !Boot.Choices.Internet.User
>
> > and I have the NetTime module in
> > !Boot.Resources.!System.Modules.Network but I had to create the
> > Network directory before I could do this.
>
> > I wonder if the module isn't being found in Richard's setup; what
> > does *Help NetTime show?
>
> Thanks a lot for getting back to me on this one Peter - much
> appreciated. A gremlin has crept into the FAQ - NetTime should be
> placed in !System.Modules.Network not !System.500.Modules.Network

No it shouldn't. The use of !System.Modules is deprecated, and had been
for many years.

When executing an "RMLoad System:Modules.Network.NetTime", the system
decodes "System:" as <System$Path>, which will translate (on an Iyonix)

Sys:500.,Sys:400.,Sys:350.,Sys:310.,<harddisc>.$.!boot.Resources.!System.

Note that Sys: itself refers to <harddisc>.$.!boot.Resources.!System.

Hence, the OS will look !Boot.Resource.!System.500.Modules.Network for
NetTime. If it can't find it there is will check System.400...., then
System.350, then System.310 and only if it can't find it in any of
those will it look in System.Modules itself.

The point of all this complexity is that it allows different versions
of the module to be used on different versions of RISC OS. On my RO4.02
machine, System$path does not include Sys:500, but starts at Sys:400.
Hence, if RO5 needs a different version of NetTime to RO4 and below,
and a standard new boot machine, there will be one version in Sys:310
(which will be used for everything up to & including Select) and one in
Sys:500 (for RO5 - i.e. Iyonix).

Now, it so happens that NetTime only works on RO 5. Hence, it should go
in System.500.Modules, not in any of the others.
--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.