[iyonix-support] Re: Additional Filer Menu-option

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:46:53 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4ebb6b298blists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   John Williams <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now the filer knows what the file is called, what its filehandle is and
> so forth. Why can there not be a filer-menu option to close the file?

Because, I suspect, that the filer would need to interrogate the file in
realtime when you click on the MENU button, as the state of the file may
have changed from a few seconds ago.

However, because filer windows can be left on screen, it could be that the
original medium (ie. you may have opened a USB pendrive device or share on
a remote PC) is no longer available - thus clicking menu could potentially
cause a delay waiting for a non-existent filer operation to time out.

I think it's easier/simpler just to run one of the numerous 'close files'
utilities available. I have my own CloseFiles application stuck to the
backdrop so it's a maximum of three clicks to close any file, which is not
really too much of an inconvenience, especially as it's only used very
infrequently.

--
www.vigay.com   Computer & I.T.Consultant - Web Designer - Technology Guru
                Truth Seeker - Metaphysical Advisor - Paranormal Investigator

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.