[iyonix-support] Re: 5.18 Upgrade problems

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 19:02:58 GMT

In message <CADNqbxefHbGJ+9eTx7BT-XOXM6RC1WH+9TCE_EftWtyc9xhCew@xxxxxx
mail.com>
          John Ballance <jwbdotnet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The ROM module order IS slightly different in 5.18 to 5.16, so any unplugs
> need checking, which ever version you re-flash

> On 08/03/2012 10:41, cj wrote:

> In article <526d2d9577mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> <526d2d9577mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  When the ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Restore516 is run, are there any bits
> which were changed with the 5.18 flash which are then not changed
> back?

>  The flash and reflash change only the contents of the ROM. There's no
> way the ROM can be partially changed. I assume you have made sure
> there is nothing unplugged, which could cause problems when reverting.
> John

If you have to have things unplugged, a way to avoid problems during
OS upgrades is to RMKill them instead. RMKill works by module Name,
uplug by number, which is what causes the problems when numbers
change.

I used to need to replace certasin modules (I can't now remember
which), and had a file in boot.predesk which contained a number of
RMKill <module_name> lines. That ran at each boot, and worked during
changes of OS. It's particularly useful when testing softloads, as the
unplug problem shows up both when starting to use a softload, and when
switching back to ROM.

Alan

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire