[iyonix-support] Re: 5.18 Upgrade problems

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 15:21:06 GMT

In message <526aaba677mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02 Mar, cj <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would have thought WindowUtils was an essential module - why is it
>> unplugged?

> I hadn't realised this thread was still going..

> I cannot answer that question, but everything seems normal with it
> unplugged. I have just *reinit'ed it and can't find any difference it
> makes.

> The best information I have been able to find on its function is:
> http://select.riscos.com/prm/legacy/dummymodules.html
> "
> The WindowUtils module was provided for RISC OS 2 systems where a fault in
> the WindowManager system needed to be fixed. This was done for later
> versions of the OS, but the module has been retained for applications which
> ensure it is present.
> "
> so perhaps it isn't so vital anyway.

I have just had a look at the WindowUtils 2.53 module in OS5.18 with
StrongED and it really is a dummy module with no code and only
containing Title and Help strings.

It will not make any difference whether it is plugged in or unplugged
until some really old legacy application goes looking for it though it
would be unlikely that there are any such 32bit applications, I would
have thought.
--
David Pitt