[iyonix-support] Re: 5.18 Upgrade

  • From: HzN <iyonix.2006a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:22:19 +0100

[snipped a bit...]

> Part of the problem here is the length of time between major OS
> updates for the Iyonix.  I don't mean to sound unpleasant, but one has
> to remember that the Iyo is essentially on life-support, and it is
> only through the goodness of all at ROOL that 5.18 has appeared at
> all.

True indeed but I think that the main focus is now on the new hardware -
most good developers look into "animal computers" like Beagle and Panda
which is good since that is more important and there is more need to
address the odd topic and to ensure we get new hardware supported.

And anybody is free to pick up intermediate releases and use them in ROM
or softload mode. The overhead to really validate a ROM image to release
it as "stable" is not to be neglected... and time spent on that work can
thus not spent on other things...

> What I mean by this is that in between 5.16 and 5.18 there have been
> numerous updates and reported findings/changes which you can read on
> the RISC OS Open forums...

Basically I'd say that the user wanting a simple way just has to wait a
bit for a new stable release to appear (and not forget that it is free
of charge!) - those wanting "cutting edge" OS should try the developer
releases (with softloading the risk being pretty low).

In any case software I bought I expect the supplyer to keep me up to
date about new releases (as most do) - be it by direct email or some
form of announcement. For products that are not supported anymore since
the supplyer is not active anymore or for free software I think it is
not asking too much that (especially before a ROM upgrade) it is a good
idea to check the web sites for updates.

In any case for a RISC OS users wanting to enjoy the odd update I would
recommend that they keep an eye on c.s.a.announce newsgroup or one of
the more live portals or subscribe to Archive or GAG-News etc. since
then the chances to miss updates are lower.

> By way of comparison, ARMini users have received 3-4 updates during
> the same period (each documented, and supported on the mailing list or
> via email/phone), but obviously when the ARMini becomes as long-lifed
> as the Iyo, I can't guarantee the same situation won't occur (ie. a
> long time between releases).

Absolutely and you (R-Comp) do a good job on this one but please allow
me to note that you do get a pound or so for this and ARMini as well as
the Beagle/Panda-In-Kiste (the German parent) are a bit more in the need
of updates still - and currently most work done on RISC OS and apps is
addressing topics on the new ARM hardware anyhow.

> Whilst we'd all wish that updates were hassle-free, I think the
> important thing is to be glad that 5.18 *has* appeared for the Iyo,
> bringing with it lots of improvements.  Did anyone really expect more
> updates (and free ones at that) several years after the last Iyo was
> built/sold?  I think it's pretty wonderful, to be honest, and a
> tribute to all those who worked on the project.

Absolutely!

--
Herbert

Herbert zur Nedden
German Archimedes Group http://www.gag.de

Herausgeber DER deutschen RISC OS-Zeitschrift.