[iyonix-support] Re: 5.18 Upgrade

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 13:25:53 +0000

On 06/03/2012 10:40, Learning Partners wrote:
I think that next time a change this radical in the OS occurs

It isn't a radical change, it's a point release the same as many others.

it would be
well to accompany it with a compatibility table of KNOWN requirements to
upgrade key / core applications such as Ov Pro, Easiwriter, Artworks,
Datapower, etc etc This information is obviously known to some developers,

No it isn't. There isn't some huge team of developers for RISC OS any more, it's a handful of people, so the only way compatibility issues get found is from those people trying the new release with various software - 99.9% of which is donkeys years old and no longer supported by anyone, so problems are inevitable, and fixes far from likely.

Martin, Andrew etc. Some of us are still primarily users, and even have
businesses to run so often do not have time to keep up-to-date with
upgrades or have the annoyance of an upgrade messing up systems and having
to spend time clearing up. If we know what needs to be done we can
schedule the appropriate period of time to do the full upgrade.

If you haven't got the time and competency to track down issues and work around them, then don't try new OS versions days after they are released!

I will now softload 5.18 and upgrade POv Pro. Anything else I should know?

Probably lots. If you don't want to be first to find them, wait for few weeks and hopefully someone else will.

Cheers
---David
--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx