[iyonix-support] Re: 516 and the Network Chip Problem

  • From: dave higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:07:50 +0000

Quoting John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am one of those who haven't yet upgraded to RISC OS 5.16 because, when
> I tried the softload, the networking became unavailable. This was
> something I had encountered with 5.14 softload so had already abandoned
> that and reverted to 5.11 where I am now.  I didn't know then what was
> the cause of the problem; it was covered here recently, which was helpful.
>
> I waited for a solution to be proposed, but unless have I missed it none
> has come -- apart from "fingering the mains switch", whatever that
> means, and it sounds undesirable anyway.  I have tried a few things,
> including shutting down and re-starting immediately, but cannot get the
> network (chip) to initialise.  I cannot operate without it, so am stuck.
>
> I had rather hoped for a way to kick the network chip into life, in the
> same way that !USBkick gets that sub-system going.
>
> Have I missed the solution to this issue?  I suspect there are others
> (not necessarily on this mailist) with the same issue.

I am worried that various users have been put off reflashing because
of reported problems - and that those problems may well not be related
directly to the particular new version of RISC OS.

John, if you've ever had a problem with the network interface failing
to start up, it's almost certainly caused by the power supply, not by
RO5.16 or RO5.14.  Softloading one or the other may happen to have
shown up an already marginal hardware system.

Alex Cessford has had one problem when reflashing to 5.16, but the
evidence suggests that the problem was caused by earlier incorrect
changes to his !Boot system that were not corrected.  Again not the
fault of 5.16 - it just showed up an error that was already there.

Dave

Visit Pipex Business: The homepage for UK Small Businesses

Go to http://www.pipex.co.uk/business-services