[iyonix-support] Re: 5.13 directory access details

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:08:27 GMT

On 24 Feb, Gavin Wraith wrote in message
  <fa5d64ba4e.wra1th@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In message <45E0B2F7.70206@xxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>
> > The access menu details are ONLY initialised if a single file is
> > selected.. multiple files or directories cause it to come up
> > uninitialised .. for logical reasons
>
> I am not sure about the logic. Surely there is some flag that indicates
> whether the directory itself is locked, irrespective of the access
> permissions for the contents? Would it not be nice to have visual
> feedback about its state?

There is, and it would.  However, note that the Access dialogue opens with
'Recurse' ticked, so by implication it is applying to all the files in the
directory.

If it were to show the flags for the directory, Recurse would need to be
unticked.  I suppose there may be an argument to say that it should update
if Recurse is de-selected, though this could get confusing.

> Of course, if lots of filer objects are selected, the access details
> dialog is inappropriate. It would be more logical for the access menu
> itself to be greyed out if more than one object be selected.

No, because the dialogue can apply the new settings to the all the
objects in the current selection.  This wouldn't be possible if it were
greyed out.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/