[isapros] Re: ISA, Exchange 2007 and Perimeter Networks

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:26:02 -0800

Because it¹s safer that way, that¹s why... That¹s what an authenticated
access DMZ perimeter is for? with a CAS server that presents logon services
to any Internet user, I would (and, in fact, require) that the server be in
a least-privileged authenticated access perimeter network that limits that
servers communications to the minimum required for required functionality ­
and only to the hosts it needs to talk to.

Let¹s say there is a front-end implementation issue or coding vulnerability:
the CAS on the internal network would allow unfettered, full-stack access to
the internal network.  A CAS in a perimeter DMZ would mitigate potential
exposure in the event of a 0day or configuration issue.

³Safer on the internal network² is a complete misnomer when it comes to
servers presenting services to an untrusted network.

On 1/10/07 3:04 PM, "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh to all: