[isalist] wpad.dat DNS entry

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:47:24 -0400

I'm having a serious problem here with the wpad name resolution.  I
moved it from being sent out via DHCP to DNS per Jim's recommendation,
which seems to have speeded up some things, but is now unreliable and
causing problems.

The problem appears to be the multiple internal subnets...  Here is a
diagram of how it is laid out:

Internet

ISA Server --- Internal Network 1 (10.20.1.1)

Internal Network 2 (10.6.254.90)---- 10.6.8.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.9.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.10.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.12.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.14.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.15.x Subnet

I entered two Host (A) records for wpad, one for 10.20.1.1, and another
for 10.6.254.90.

Frequently I run across computers on the 10.6.x.x subnet where the FWC
cannot automatically detect the ISA server, so I ping wpad and it
resolves to the 10.20.1.1 address instead of the 10.6.254.90 address
that it is supposed to get.  I try repairs and such, it keeps resolving
to the wrong one.  When I reboot the computer, it resolves to the
correct IP and works properly.  I reboot the computer several times, and
it gets the correct address.  But, I'll hear of another computer having
problems, and I'll check and it is the same problem.  This is not going
to be pretty over the next few days as teacher come back to work after
summer vacation.

What is the best way to resolve this?  Change it back to DHCP, customize
host files, etc?