re Re: SOCKS5 Compiled?

  • From: "SteveC" <SteveC@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:25:53 -0400

The SOCKS4 filter is not doing UDP.  I have Macintosh clients that need to
use UDP just like the Win folks do with the Firewall Client.  After
reading through some references on the web, I was led to believe that the
SOCKS5 filter would let me supply UDP to non-Win clients.

Some references I found:

http://ftp.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/tools/dos/socks.cstc/FAQ-SOCKS-970929.txt :
2. How is SOCKS V5 different from SOCKS V4?

               The main differences between SOCKS V5 and SOCKS V4
               are:

                  o SOCKS V4 does not support authentication.
                    SOCKS V5 supports a variety of authentication
                    methods.
                  o SOCKS V4 does not support UDP proxy. SOCKS V5
                    does.

                    Refer to Introduction to SOCKS for additional
                    information.

http://www.socks.permeo.com/AboutSOCKS/SOCKSvF.asp:

The SOCKSv5 protocol, also known as authenticated firewall traversal
(AFT), is an open Internet standard (rfc1928) for performing network
proxies at the transport layer. It resolves several issues that SOCKS
version 4 protocol did not fully address or omitted:

Strong authentication
Authentication method negotiation
Address resolution proxy
Proxy for UDP-based applications

And the RFC:

http://archive.socks.permeo.com/rfc/rfc1928.txt

Thanks.

---orig

Subject: Re: SOCKS5 Compiled?
From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:44:22 -0700

What is the SOCKS4 filter not doing for you?

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver
 http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison