Re: pix and isa

  • From: "Ray Dzek" <rdzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:26:37 -0700

Since I run both on seperate segments...

If you are a geeks geek, and live and breath access lists, conduits, and
non-intuitive command line interfaces, then PIX is the product for you!

If you like screens where you can see all your configuration options, and has a
native windows environment that you are already used to, the ISA is the product
for you.

As far as security goes... I would say that they are equal only limited by the
admin.  Any admin can poorly implement a firewall rendering it useless.  I have
never seen or heard of a properly implemented Pix or ISA box breached.

I think the ISA list here is one of the best resources I have ever seen for a
product.  I can post a question here, and generally have a reply before I would
even get through to Cisco tech support for a Pix question.  But Cisco's tech
support is always top notch.  And Microsoft's (If you can't get the answer
here), in my experience, is pretty bad.

There are many built in and 3rd party options to expand ISA's cababilites for
email filtering, virus detection, and reporting.

If you have a lot of Macintosh, Unix, or Netscape users, ISA can be a little
frustrating if you want users to authenticate with ISA before using the
internet.

Good luck!