Re: isa and IM

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:45:33 -0700

No; that would break too many other things.
Here's the problem: apps using the FW client generally depend on ISA to resolve
names for them.
You can control that on a per-app basis by setting the "NameResolution"
property for that app to "L"
in the "Application Settings" tab of the "Firewall Clients" part of "Client
Configuration" in ISA
management.
Bear in mind that you'll be forcing the MSNIM app to act like a SecureNAT
client where name
resolution is concerned, so it'll have to be able to resolve external names by
itself.

1. Drill down to "Client Configuration", "Firewall client" properties,
"Application Settings"
2. click "Add" and enter "msmsgs" in the "Application" field"
3. select "NameResolution" in the "Key" dropdown list
4. select "L" in the "Value" dropdown list
5. click "Apply" and "OK" to apply the changes and close the dialog
6. go to each FW client and force a refresh

I like to make this setting for all apps, because I prefer not to use ISA
Firewall and Web Proxy
services' DNS proxy functionality.

These articles may help clear it up a bit for you:
http://isaserver.org/pages/articles.asp?art=62
http://isaserver.org/pages/articles.asp?art=61
http://isaserver.org/pages/articles.asp?art=60

Jim Harrison