RE: XCompress for ISA -- Compression Filter

  • From: "Wayne Berry" <wayne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:51:44 -0700

Joesph,

1) Not every request is intended for an IIS server, i.e. the forward proxy
scenario.  Let's say you have a ISA server as a proxy that gives your
internal users outbound access to the Internet.  Some internal users are in
a branch office with WAN connectivity over a partial frame relay.  You would
like them to get faster Internet access, however you don't want to pay for
more channels on the frame relay (or faster DSL, or...) so you use
compression on the ISA server and those users have faster access.

2) Maybe your IIS 6.0 server's CPU is taxed from serving ASP.NET pages and
you would like to offload compression to your ISA server doing reverser
proxy.

3) Maybe you are caching 50% of the web site's static content on your ISA
server, and you would like to compress it before it goes out so that you
save bandwidth, in this scenario IIS 6.0 is never called, even though the
page might have originated there.

4) Maybe you are using ISA server in front of an iPlanet, WebSphere, IIS
5.0, AS/400, and a Apache server and you want to provide one place to
maintain compression software.

Note: XCompress for ISA is not for IIS, it is for ISA.  We sell "XCompress
for IIS" for IIS, and that is another story.

-Wayne